Tuesday 18 November 2014

How It All Began

Well I guess first things first, I should introduce myself...

My name is Rebekah Ryan I am 38 year old Ex-Popstar. My Career began in 1993 when I was spotted on possibly the worst Talent show ever to air (you'll soon recognise that I don't mince my words). The show was called Pot Of Gold and was presented by the wonderful Des O'Conner; and yes he really was lovely.



I was brought up by two wonderful Parents from a working class family and my Mother used to scour the Stage Newspaper each week looking for opportunities for me. She made a habit of forgetting to tell when these auditions were; she kept my diary close to her chest as she knew if she told me weeks before I would probably get so nervous that I would lose my voice; a cunning trick from a very knowing Mother.

For Years I had been singing around working mens clubs with my dad; I think since I was around 6; I remember standing up in front of a crowd in a very smoky working mens club and belting 'Ma he's making eyes at me', a memory that's still crystal clear in my mind. I remember all the oohing and ahhhing of the crowd and the applause and I knew in that moment that this would be my life.

The audition for Pot of Gold was pleasant, nothing like the X-Factor audition that I would do many many years later. The audition was in front of the programmes producers and they were respectful and kind to me, my first taste of the more professional side of the entertainment world was at this stage a good one. My audition was a success, I sang 'Didn't We Almost Have It All' by Whitney Houston and my place was granted on the show.

When the day arrived to do my televised performance I remember the makeup and hair ladies saying "lets make her look like Whitney Houston", ( I am caucasian so I thought this a bit odd ). Being a huge fan of Whitney I went with flow however I came out looking more like I was 50 not 17 and closer to Shirley Bassey, not cool when all your mates are gonna be watching.



I came out on that stage that night and my lips were glued to my Colgate White Teeth....I thought it would be so noticeable. My stomach was churning and I felt like bursting into tears when I saw the proud face of my Irish Father sitting in the audience; I knew if I was to get through the performance without crying I would not be able to let myself catch his gaze again. Miraculously my nerves kicked into adrenaline and I gave the performance of my life....like my life depended on it....


<a href="http://www.bloglovin.com/blog/13782725/?claim=juykkn3ceyb">Follow my blog with Bloglovin</a>

No comments:

Post a Comment